On August 8, 2008, the XXIX Summer Olympics will begin in Beijing. The Olympics are games designed to foster an international community—a lot like how blogging is about community. So this year, why don’t we prepare for the Olympics with our own version of the Olympics—the BlogOlympics?
On Monday, I’ll have badges for Gold, Silver, and Bronze “medals.” To earn them, starting on Monday, participate in events at each level: for a Bronze, complete a Bronze event; for a Silver, complete a Bronze and a Silver event; for a Gold, compete a Bronze, Silver and Gold event. Like next year’s Olympics, the BlogOlympics will end on August 24.
And of course, one of the requirements to participate is to link to the official post that begins the BlogOlympics on Monday.
Here’s a list of some of the events that I came up with—please suggest more in the comments!
- Comment on up to 5 new blogs
- Subscribe to a new blog
- Submit or vote for a post you like on someone else’s blog on a social networking or bookmarking site
- Add a blog to your blogroll
- Comment on 6 to 15 new blogs
- Participate in a blog carnival
- Participate in a group writing project
- Subscribe to 3 new blogs
- Submit or vote for a post you like on someone else’s blog on a social networking or bookmarking site three times
- Contact a blogger about guest blogging on their blog
- Add three blogs to your blogroll
- Comment on 16 to 25 new blogs (and over)
- Sign up to host a blog carnival
- Host a group writing project (or plan one)
- Subscribe to 5 new blogs
- Submit or vote for a post you like on someone else’s blog on a social networking or bookmarking site five times
- Review someone else’s blog on your blog
- Interview another blogger
- Send a completed guest post to another blogger
- Write two “pillar articles” or pieces of “flagship content“
Since the Olympics are about individual excellence as well, this will be on the honor system.
Leave your ideas for events in the comments and spread the word!